Sunday, August 7, 2011

Theme Parks in Central Florida

Having grown up in Orlando I was in the shadow of Walt Disney from the age of 10.  My family and I were at the opening of Walt Disney World and I've been to all the parks numerous times.  When we were little we had small parks like Six Gun Territory, Weeki Watchie Springs,   Cypress Gardens, and many more.  A lot has changed since the 60's as things tend to do and while the smaller parks have either gone under or faded to smaller crowds they still have their Florida charm. 

As an adult I've had some extensive Quality Assurance experience while working for the government and I apply what I learned to the number one past time from my childhood.  I don't work for the parks or endorse one over the other, they all have their qualities, but I'll narrate what I as a tourist and native see and place value on during my many excursions. 

My focus today is on Universal Studios which also includes the adjacent Islands of Adventure.  These are two superb venues for family entertainment and adult night life.  Universal Studios is a live action movie studio which has lots designed like the big studios in California but cater to rides and entertainment.  No expense has been spared in the design and sparkle of this spectacular park.  It is not as vast as other parks which is nice as you don't have to be an athlete or buy a new pair of running shoes to see it all.  The rides are all typical of the filmmakers expertise in creating whatever illusion they want you to enjoy, whether horror, comedy, or adventure, the rides are all awesome.  The on site restaurants are as good as it gets, and pricing is not the great sticker shock one might expect since you get a face full of fun for your buck.  Islands of Adventure has the world class Hogwart's and Harry Potter rides just opened in 2010, and for the European traveller especially, it makes the long trip extremely memorable.  Universal Studios boasts 3 world class hotels on the property.  Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, and the Royal Pacific, which, if booked with theme park tickets, also gives you express passes to all the rides.  This is a great complement, especially in the summer season when the lines can be long.  Pricing is a little more than to be expected outside the park but what you spend up front you will save in time travelling, gas, and aggravation from competing with our summertime traffic. 



All in all the experience is one in a lifetime for some and will leave you with lasting memories.